Monday 4 July 2011

Trimming babies' fingernails

The elderly will tell you not to trim baby's nails till after the first month and you may think this is due to superstition. However, the parentcraft consultant at Gleneagles also advise trimming Hayden's fingernails after one month as if we do it earlier, we may hurt his delicate nailbed and/or cut him. Hence Hayden often scratched himself during his first month when his mitten dropped or when we are bathing or changing him as his nails were jagged and sharp.

Its really a daunting task initially, esp. when they are newborns.Their fingers are so tiny it seems impossible to trim. I tried baby nail scissors and baby nail clippers. Both have their pros and cons. Personally, I find it easier with the nail clippers as when I use the scissors, I have a tendency to cut too deep. I even bought a few brands of nail clippers to see which is better. My verdict? Manicare and Safety1st are better in terms of ease of use. If you can find one that comes with a tiny torch attached, it will be better as I often had to trim Hayden's nails only after he sleeps at night hence the extra light would come in handy.

Baby nails grow very fast hence we often have to trim them twice a week. Well, can't say we don't need the practice right? Be sure to gently pull back the fingertip before you trim and do not trim too deep as it will hurt baby.

Ok, time to go and trim Hayden's nails now or he'll fail his nail inspection again (inspected by my MIL).

No comments:

Post a Comment